Update day: 14-01-2022
Category: Agriculture / Forestry / Fishery
Job type: Contract/Temp
- Do you enjoy inspiring and educating others to achieve greater conservation outcomes?
- Are you a great public speaker who has a passion for our natural environment?
- Seeking an opportunity to work in some of the most iconic locations in the South Island?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Ranger, Community to join our close-knit and passionate Franz Josef Glacier team for a 2-year fixed term or secondment.
He angitūtanga: About the Role
As our Ranger, Community you will develop and deliver key conservation messages and educational programmes that motivate our local communities and add value to the overall tourist experience in Te Wāhipounamu - South West New Zealand World Heritage Area. In this role, you will have the opportunity to inspire and educate others where you will be involved in:
- Designing, planning and providing talks and interpretive/educational programmes
- Liaising with other Rangers and/or experts to deliver exceptional conservation outcomes
- Partner, educate and engage with iwi, hapu and the wider community while advocating for conservation
- Providing general conservation and safety information to visitors
- Helping visitors at the Westland Tai Poutini National Park Visitor Centre from time to time
This role will require you to travel in the South Westland District and work occasional weekends and public holidays.
He kōrero mōu: What we are looking for
We are seeking a confident public speaker, someone who has a knack for teaching and has a passion for advocating greater conservation outcomes for South Westland. We want to hear from you if you have:
- Experience in developing, designing and delivering educational programmes in cultural and natural heritage
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write reports
- An innate ability to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences
- Hands-on experience working with community groups and partnering with iwi, hapu and whanau
- A positive, creative, can-do attitude
- A full drivers licence
- A desire to be part of a small, tight-knit and somewhat remote town
Desirable skills, experience and qualifications:
- Proficient in Te Reo Māori and other languages would be beneficial
- Local knowledge of Te Wāhipounamu - South West New Zealand World Heritage Area
- First Aid certificate
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What’s in it for you?
There are a range of Departmental accommodation options in Franz Josef.
A fantastic supportive and collaborative working environment. Being the multiple award winner of the most attractive employer in the public sector (and second overall) with an average turnover beyond 10 years, we know people generally really enjoy working with us!
We offer a range of flexible working options depending on the needs of the role and its work context.
We highly value the new expertise and fresh perspectives brought into the organisation. This is your chance to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement.
Salary Range $53,776 up to $68,714. Starting salary of the successful candidate will be based on their relevant skills and experience.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory - this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination requirement - All Employees are required to be vaccinated in line with our Vaccination Policy. New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing employment.
Please apply online via the DOC Careers Centre with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements above.
For any enquiry, please contact Chris Monson on 0275439963 or at email@example.com
Applications close at 5pm, Monday, 17th January 2022
This role has been identified as a children’s worker under the Children’s Act 2014. The successful applicant will be subject to police vetting.
Department of Conservation/Te Papa Atawhai is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Palmerston North, Manawatu - Wanganui
💸 Negotiate⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Franklin, Auckland
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Lower Hutt, Wellington
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Central Hawke’s Bay, Hawke’s Bay
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Gisborne
💸 $164,369 - $244,560 pa + relocation package, CME⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Whakatane, Bay of Plenty
💸 Negotiate⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Wellington Central, Wellington
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Wellington - other, Wellington
⏰ 21-02-2022🌏 Picton, Marlborough